Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Flight down in Brazzaville

After an hour delay on Ethiopian air because they couldn't find us in the system, our digital footprint finally emerged, we were through customs, security, and on our 2pm direct 4 hr flight to Addas, Ethiopia.   Approximately 10 - 15 min. into the flight I noticed some maneuvering followed by  a sudden decent w/out a word from the cockpit.  W/in minutes we were @ 1,000 feet AGL (above the ground).  This wasn't a significant cause for concern.  The engines sounded fine, although they were throttled back.   But then we were @ 500 feet above the ground.  I wenched my seat belt.  The pilot was landing the plane!  I saw nothing but jungle.  So much for making it to Ethiopia, much less Malawi on a timely basis.  I had never been part of a crash landing.  It was odd, no instructions to assume the crash position, no screaming from the cabin.

Everything was totally calm.  Normal except for the fact that we were on a 4 hr. direct flight and the pilot was landing the plane prematurely.  Then the airport appeared.  Praise God, we can make a normal landing.  I guess there was enough manuvoring to get back to Kinshasa.  Crisis averted, but w/ certain mechanical problems we might need to write off Malawi.  Oh well, were in Africa, things  happen, things change.    Then the announcement, " welcome to Brazzaville."   What!  We just flew from the DRC to the Congo?  I quickly rechecked my itinerary.  Nope, this shouldn't be happening.  O stops, 4+ hr flight.

They forgot to send us the email re: the updated schedule.  Maybe thats why we weren't in the system.  An hour later we were back in the air on the remaining direct 4+ hr flight to Addis.  By the time we found our beds we were  6 hrs away from our wake up call to make the shuttle back to the airport.


I am never flying Ethiopian air again.  What, it's the maiden flight from Addis to Blantyre via LiLongwe and they are giving me a free XXL golf shirt and cap?  You said something about a cake to celebrate?    Well maybe I can fly them again.  They did get us to Malawi as scheduled and I did lock in my itinerary 5 months in advance.  So what if they didn't send us the change notification.  It made for a good story.

God is good and in control.  Happy Easter!  Welcome to Malawi.

No comments: